Thursday, February 17, 2011

DIY Beauty Dish

A couple of years ago, I attempted to make a Beauty Dish to fit my Elinchrom strobes. I had my dad help me to hand made the Elinchrom mount adapter (how silly of me as later on I have found out that you can actually buy ready made Elinchrom mount adapters from the internet for very cheap price).

This picture below sort of summarised the making process, pretty much self explanatory.


I found the light produced from the above piece pretty harsh (obviously due to the shiny stainless steel salad bowl).

So I sprayed the dish/bowl with a matt white and changed the small stainless steel bowl in front of the flashtube to a piece of thin plastic chopping broad cut out.

As you can see, the light produced from the below version is a lot better.



I think the light produce will be a lot softer if I have a deffuser sock/material on it to cover the front.

I will attempt to look for other shape dish/bowls to see if I am make another one in the near future since now I've bought a couple of the Elinchrom mount adapters.


Update - 17-3-2011
I have found 2 more dish/bowls. One (picture on the left) is about the same size of the one above but different shape (an aluminum wok ocver -very light weight) and the other one which I am still trying to paint is a bigger version of the above (65cm in diameter).
Below is an image taken with the above (left) dish on an Elinchrom Style 600 strobe on an Innovatronix explorer XT (http://www.innovatronix.com/detailpage.asp?categoryid=42&productid=390&categoryname=Products%20and%20Services)


Update: 6/5/2011.  I have since painted the larger BD and also purchase a Honeycomb Grid off ebay which has about the same diameter as my larger BD.  I've asked my father to help me to design a mount mechanism so I can fit the Honeycomb Grid onto my DIY BD.  Below are the result:




The first 4 photos on this shoot was shot with the small DIY Beauty dish (no grid) on an Elinchrom Style 600        

( All images Copyright (C)  Melbourne Photographer - That's The Shot Photography )

No comments:

Post a Comment